Friday, June 12, 2009

Cullman, AL to Athens, GA

I have a lot of friends. And by association, so does Nathan. I just wish they were closer.

We checked out of the motel and drove out to the project for breakfast with the dwindling crew at the Carpenters' project. After a few last hugs we hit the road. Only for an hour though since we were stopping at Samford. We went to the bookstore to get a few things we hadn't found to order online and then met with the alumni director, David. He's a really nice guy who I had only spoken with by email. Definitely a good connection to have. While we were at the bookstore, I saw Sherry who worked in Human Resources and got a hug from her. In the food court I talked to a different David and was amazed he remembered me even 3 years after graduating. I saw Miss Dot in the caf and she was just as sweet as ever. I got to show Nathan a few things we had missed last year in our stop at Samford but there's still plenty more to see the next time. I kinda like it that way....it means we have to come back. =)

Our next stop was in Gainesville to have dinner with Ashlie and Derrick. That meant driving thru Atlanta....on a Friday afternoon.....on the downtown connector. This may sound simple if you're not from here. Our side alone of the downtown connector (I-75/I-85) had 7 lanes. I can only imagine the southbound side had 7 lanes too. We criss-crossed traffic changing interstates 3 times or more. We had a massive lightning storm while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. And we saw a couple people merge 5 lanes of traffic in one swoop. Nevertheless, traffic really wasn't that bad. Most of the time it stayed moving and we were always in the right lane thanks to accurate signage being posted in advance!

We got to Applebee's and had good food and good service. Mostly I was intersted in the good fellowship so I think I forgot to eat. We had such a good time we went to Starbucks for after dinner coffee and I got a slice of marble loaf since the Pacific NW has decided never to serve it again (meanies!). It was wonderful to realize how similar married life is, no matter where you live or how long you've been together. We definitely enjoyed an adults only dinner (though the boys are precious...) and wish we could do it more often. So if anybody would like to invent an instant travel machine.....

The drive to Athens from Gainesville wasn't bad. No deer and no cops. We have been on the road quite a bit today but it was worth it. We are now in eastern time zone and not quite used to it. Maybe it is better to fly and settle into it faster than a one hour adjustment every few days...not sure. Soon enough we'll be back in my favorite time zone (Central) which is where the majority of our trip takes place, surprisingly.

My favorite car (detail) wash also does oil changes so we're going to go there tomorrow since we've definitely gone 3000 miles! We'll also be negotiating our return route as the bonus of our trip has been canceled. Maybe another day.

'Night, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment